Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Some UFO's




OK, I am worse than some and not as bad as others when it comes to UFO's (Unfinished Objects) in my quilting endeavor. I have decided to attach some photos of some that I have laying and hanging around in the hopes that guilt will make me finish them. The problem is that I do not know how to machine quilt so all of my quilting is by hand. It takes me FOREVER to finish something! I am thinking that I am going to hire a longarm quilter to do these for me and I can finally have something accomplished.

I had mentioned photographing my flag quilt with the Statue of Liberty freehand quilted on it. I am in the process of packing and apparently have it packed. So I will get that pic on later when I move and re-establish my studio. But I will tell you that it is one of my favorites!!!! Plus the backing is fabric with the Seal of the United States Army. Since I am prior Army, I take a little bit of pride in that, too.

Speaking of Army, OK, so this is a side note, my oldest brother is in the Army and was deployed to Afghanistan last week. His son is a Marine and currently deployed to Iraq. Please keep them in your thoughts along with their families.


OK, back to quilting... The first pic is just a scrappy 4 patch that I use (unfinished) as my tree skirt at Christmas! I do plan on finishing it as it will be easy to quilt. The second one is a Trip Around the World that I made to represent fire. It did not turn out as I wanted and maybe that is why I have not finished it? The third one is so fun. It is the result of my first "Stash Basher" assignment. I used so many UGLY fabrics and it turned out BEAUTIFUL! I love it. I am actually going to add some hot pink (my favorite color) borders and then bind it in black. It will be my snuggle quilt.

I am not going to post anymore UFO's today as I do not want to show all that I have in one shot. So, check back now and again and see what I have.

Another side-note for you. My new house is looking good! We are painting it this Saturday and it should be completed the beginning to the middle of August! Take a look at the progress on my family news site www.wheelersinor.blogspot.com

Have a great day! Quilt till you wilt!

Denise

5 comments:

Tonya Ricucci said...

Way too many UFOs in one post - how am I going to make comments on all of them?

I love hand quilting too, but it definitely takes time. Have you tried utility (big stitch) quilting with perle cotton? You use a bigger thread so it's showier and bigger stitches so it all goes faster. I love how it looks and it's perfect for lap quilts. Go back in Finn's (Piece's from my Scrapbag) archives and check her quilting out.

I bet you have a gorgeous wild christmas tree if this fun 4-patch is any indication.

The Trip Around the World is stunning, but seems unfinished. I think it would look fabulous with a huge border. Think Amish. A border of the darkest color (brown? burgundy?) that's somewhere between half or a third the size of the Trip. In other words, if the Trip now measure 30" then a border that's 15" or 10".

Or go even bigger and turn the Trip on point. Finish off the square and then do a big border. Again, very amish. I searched the IQSC site on "Center Diamond" and "Center Square" looking for an example for you, but didn't find one that I thought was perfect for what I am trying to describe. But it's fun to go and look there if you never have.

I know you're all packed up now, or getting there, but when you have your things again, I'd love to see the Trip auditioned with borders...

The snuggle quilt is great. Hot pink - woohoo.

Lily Mulholland said...

Hey Denise.

Thanks for your comment over on my blog :)

You'll never guess, but I'm ex-army too - the Australian army. I didn't go to Afghanistan or Iraq, but did see service in East Timor and Papua New Guinea. I hope your brother and newphew are all safe and sound and have very non-eventful tours.

Ooooh I think Tonya's onto something with your trip around the world quilt and nice big fat border. Or on point. Would look very cool indeed.

I don't have enough fabric to end up with a whole bunch of UFO's. Yet. LOL :)

Judy said...

All of your UFO's are great and you DO know how to quilt, you just haven't done it yet! You obviously know how to sew because you can piece...and very well it seems!!

Quilting is nothing more than just that. If you have a walking foot you can quilt. It's not fancy custom quilting, but it will get the job done and get the quilts finished. Especially if they are meant for lap quilts to be used by the family. If you don't have that walking foot, i'd save for one and invest. It's a MUST if you quilt.

Now, hook on that foot and then sandwich your quilts...which you must do when you hand quilt, right. Get some safety pins and baste. Then start in the center and just make straight lines on each seam line. On your blocks quilt you can do every other line of blocks, stitching down the seam line. You can even do curves with the WFoot. Just start sewing and gently turn and curve from one corner to the other corner. I do that one all the time. I start in the corner and then sew down curving right in a big sweeping motion, and left...sweeping motion and back to the corner. Keep echoing that line at about 2 inchs away from the first line, until you are finally at the edge. Then go back to the center and go the other way. Before too long it will be all quilted!!

Just roll up your quilt and stuff it under the arm to get to the center. There are tons of books on how to quilt. TRY IT!!

nwscrapmom said...

Wow! So they're UFO's... they're fabulous! I'm sure they are even prettier in person than what you can see in photos. I don't know how you find to do all that you do, do. That sounded funny... do do. Well, you know what I mean. *G* I'm excited to hear about the house project. Even the "chore" of painting is exciting when you know what the outcome will be.
Have fun!

Simonetta said...

Don't worry you Denise, also I have many UFOs put aside, that I hope
to end sooner or later:)))) I love a lot your jobs Denise, compliment indeed!!!!